Our Main Floor Renovation: Part 1

We Installed hardwood floors, not too long ago, in a house that we upgraded (another post someday). The price that we received for the wood was such a deal, that my husband thought we should put some in our house. This is not our house. :(
  IMG_6593

You see, we do all these nice projects, but most of them are not at our house. We never seem to have the time or the money. With all the traffic our house gets, our vinyl floor which I NEVER liked (it just came in the house), is now in terrible condition and the carpet being cream color (which is not practical for so many people and it to, came with the house) had to be shampooed often. 

Well, the idea of putting in the new wood floor had this HUGE snowball effect.

1. If we are going to be taking off all the baseboards, to put the floor in, we mine as well paint the walls. It had been four years since we moved in and painted. Which color should we use???
IMG_1925
2. If we are going to paint the walls, we should paint the ceiling first. Which by the way, had a crack down the middle, which needed to be patched and sanded. What a mess!!
IMG_1926
3. If we are going to be patching, we should lower our arches, so we have room to some day put crown molding up. (Right now they are only 1 1/2 inches from the ceiling.)
IMG_1923 IMG_1922
4. Since we are taking out the carpet, maybe we should replace some of the carpet on the stairs, with some of the carpet that is still in good condition, from under the couches and other furniture. And fix the squeaky steps while we are at it. (Daddy has lots of helpers, taking out the staples.) There is also the issue that the floor and where the carpet was, is now at different levels. (Do we take out the old floor, or add to the area where the carpet was to make them level? Another issue to deal with!)
IMG_2000
IMG_1910
5. We removed some of the carpet on the steps and found glue and screws on several of the steps. Which we believe someone already tried to get the squeaks out, and just made a big mess. Not to mention all the staples.
IMG_1915
6. Why don’t we refinish the steps instead of putting carpet back on them??? Another major project!!! Let’s see if it is possible.
IMG_2014
7. We should also cut away at the floor, that was discolored by the back sliding door, to make sure we don’t have a problem. Yea right!
IMG_2018

And did I mention, this is all 3 weeks before I am scheduled to have my 12th baby!!!

It has to be done before that! I don’t think so. We will see how much gets done.


Follow us, to see our progress, and details on some of the projects.

See Part 2 here.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Try to get a nap in! :) Looks great! Congrats on the upcoming baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given you a Stylish Blogger Award! You can go to my blog and get a copy of the award (copy and paste the award button)along with instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new baby! Don't you love how simple projects ALWAYS snowball into a monumental disaster? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, isn't this always how house projects work out! One thing just leads to another! The baby sounds like a good reason to stand back and direct while other people do the hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I think I am a follower on one of your daughter's blogs! I am a new follower and would love a follow back. I am dying to pull the carpet off our stairs,but I don't think it's real wood underneath.
    laura
    http://imnotatrophywife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big projects always get bigger and bigger! You are like me, I always had huge things going on right when I was about to give birth. :)

    I enjoy reading your blog. I'm #11 in my family! :)

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate your work which you have shared here. The article you have shared is very informative and the points you have mentioned are very helpful. Thank you for sharing this post. Floor renovation Services cornwall

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your post and this blog is very good. You have provided good knowledge in this blog. This blog really impressed me. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us. hardwood flooring for modern homes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!